Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Gluten Free Apple Streusel Bars


Good recipes and good friends are both something to cherish. This recipe came from my good friend Trudi who was once willing to give me all of her recipes to look through. Many were from her mother, hand written and titled "Mom's __________". Every family has their favorite dishes traditionally shared at family events. This one you will love and it is great for sharing with everyone. Thanks Trudi for your friendship and your recipes!
GFCF Apple Streusel Bars, adapted from Trudi Watson
3/4 c. margarine
1 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
scant teaspoon baking powder
2 c. gluten free flour mix (I used featherlight)
1 can gluten free apple pie filling (my store brand, Western Family was GF)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Glaze:
1 T. melted margarine
1 c. powdered sugar
rice milk
Cream together butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time beating well after each. Add vanilla, baking powder, and flour. Mix well. Spread batter into an oiled 9x13 inch baking pan. Open pie filling and dump directly onto the butter mixture. I like to cut the apples smaller at this point, into thirds and spread around the crust making sure to get them around the edges. If you are in a hurry or like your apples big just spread them around evenly. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes. Mix margarine and powdered sugar with enough rice milk to make a thin frosting. Drizzle over warm bars and let cool completely before cutting. I haven't tried it yet but I think this recipe would work with any kind of pie filling, I am going to try raspberry next.

1 comment:

Kate said...

oh. MY!
Yum! That looks like what my mom used to make when I was a kid!